Thursday, July 23, 2009

Private Lunch and TV

Yesterday noon, my six year-old niece came home from day camp and said to my sister, "Ahhh, my favorite time of the day: private lunch and TV." I must agree. I think it's genetic.

I've always had a hard time falling asleep, so I have several thought projects I work on to lull myself to slumber. One of the most effective is planning my Best Day Ever, a schedule of the food and TV that bring me the most joy. And here it is.

My Best Day Ever:


Breakfast: White toast with butter, coffee
9:00 - 9:30: The Dick Van Dyke Show
9:30 - 10:00 The Mary Tyler Moore Show
10:00-10:30 Designing Women
10:30-11:00 Roseanne

Now here I'd break for a walk, because developing bedsores as a result of TV viewing is just bad. I might even shower, but since it's my Best Day Ever, I might not.


Lunch: Kentucky Fried Chicken meal (all white meat, double mashed potatoes as the sides), Diet Coke
11:00-12:00 Family (the show from the 70's, not spending time with my own)
12:00- 1:00 Thirtysomething
1:00 - 2:00 LA Law


Break to call my sister and brag about how great my day is.

Snack: Kettle-cooked salt and pepper potato chips, seltzer
3:00 - 5:00 The Made for TV Movie (MfTM) Sunshine (a young mother's losing battle with cancer, based on a true story)
5:00 - 7:00 The MfTM Harvest Home (occult happenings in a Connecticut town)

Break to avoid livor mortis.


Dinner: Montecello's Restaurant's spaghetti dinner with meatballs (includes tossed salad with the house dressing and garlic toast), Pinot Grigio
8:00 - 10:00 The MfTM The Girl Most Likely To (Stockard Channing as an ugly duckling turned swan who seeks revenge on the men who spurned her)


And after that Best Day Ever, I'd get into bed with a book, and I wouldn't have the tiniest problem falling asleep.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post!

    Made me think...what would be my best day ever....??
    Getting up before everyone else, surfing the net for a while in peace.
    Going to the gym, actually observing I'm slimming down and toning up.
    Getting checked out by a 25 year old male hottie.
    Getting invited to participate in some important business meeting where they hang on my every word and thank me profusely for my participation.
    Receiving a pay check for the week, while not working too much at all.
    Opening my email to find about 11 compliments on my brilliance, friendship and thanking me for actually existing.
    Playing with my kids - laughing, being silly and having them love me and tell me I'm terrific.
    Having an hour to crochet a beautiful pattern...
    Spending another hour learning Spanish....
    Ending the day with cocktail hour with my husband, enjoying my own 1/2 case of Sam Adams Light, or having an entire (LARGE) bottle of Pino Grigio OR a fantastic Coppola Merlot to myself.
    Tucking the kids and husband into bed, turning over and snuggling into the covers for a long sleep.

    Hey....most of that IS my life (except the 25 year old hottie. I am convinced I am invisible to all men under 50).

    Sponge Bob Song inserted here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Even your fantasies are more productive than mine!

    ReplyDelete