Friday, August 13, 2010

I've Completely Changed My Mind

Screw this whole idea about growing older = gaining a valuable wisdom that, in the end, makes it worth it.  I'm starting to see that growing older = hearing news that gets progressively worse. 

My dear aunt got some bad medical news.  My friend's father is struggling more and more with his Alzheimer's.  A neighbor is facing bankruptcy because of the costs of her husband's mental hospitalization.  Another friend just buried her mother, who was laid waste by Huntington's.  Yet another friend's cousin, a youngish mother of four, has seen the return of her Stage IV breast cancer. 

Now, someone who sees each day as a gift would point out that, number one, I am blessed with friends and family in the first place.  The same person might say that with each breath there is hope and in death there is peace.  He/she might add that the joy is in this journey.  To all this I reply, "Well fuck that."

I would very much like someone to change my mind about this.  Personally, I don't think it can be done.

5 comments:

  1. I won't try to change your mind, because I
    agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right, and completely wrong. And the human experience is all about swinging between those two truths on a regular basis. I have a friend who is dying of pancreatic cancer. Her children are about 11 and 13. And I read her blog. And as I read, I watch the pendulum swing between euphoric wisdom accepting her situation and celebrating her blessings, and terrifying resistance and refusal to die. So yeah. Fuck that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see life each day as so much as a gift as just preferable to the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an attitude with just enough cynicism that I can accept it!

    ReplyDelete