Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Three Things I Learned at Disney World

After eight days at Disney World, here are the three things I learned:



1) Luxury hotels, other than structurally, might not actually be that better than the Hampton Inn (where the breakfast and the WiFi is free). At least housekeeping wise, which has a big impact.



2) Everyone gets scared. The NBA Championship between the LA Lakers and the Orlando Magic was going on while we were there. At Universal Studios, we waited in line behind (what we think were) a posse of LA Lakers. Once inside, the attraction mistress called for volunteers to act out parts of a disaster movie (since the attraction is called "Disaster). One of the big, rich, successful Laker guys giggled and kept pointing to his friend, another big, rich, successful Laker guy. The attraction mistress said that policy requires those who nominate another must perform himself. Well, this guy ducked and covered until his teammates forced him onstage. Now, the audience was full of kids and tourists (many sporting the Amazing American Ass, but that's for another day), not one of whom was as imposing and accustomed to spectators as this guy. But he was terrified. And the ten-year old kid next to him was not.

3) My daughter is actually learning the big life lessons from me. As we lounged at the pool, I started discussing dinner possibilities. My favorite idea was room service (which I'd never had). My ten year-old daughter asked me, "Does the hotel pay for that?" I said, "Noooooo...," which led her to ask, "Is it really expensive?" I said, "Yesssss....." She thought a minute and asked, "So, since we're spending so much money anyway, we should just go ahead and spend more?" Which had been my thinking exactly!

No comments:

Post a Comment