Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Tyranny of Toast

Every morning of my life, I let two pieces of toast decide what I'll eat for the rest of the day. My very favorite part of the morning is eating two slices of white bread that are lightly browned and a little less lightly buttered, accompanied by a cup of coffee and the daily newspaper. The breakfast that I usually have and actually do enjoy is two slices of diet bread lightly toasted and topped with tomato sauce (because I am the dago my Grandma made me), still with the coffee and the paper. If I've eaten my responsible breakfast, I can stay pretty much on the track of not shoving whatever I can think of into my mouth. But when I give myself permission to have the delicious breakfast, the gates are opened for me to have a fun food fiesta all day long. And that is the power of toast.

1 comment:

  1. Well. That beats my obsession with the tortilla chips that are sitting in my cupboard. I'm pretty sure I bought them for the whole family, and I'm pretty sure I've eaten the entire bag this week. I have discovered that fat free refried beans cold from the refrigerator makes an incredible breakfast when scooped up on tortilla chips.....

    ReplyDelete