Thursday, October 8, 2009

Breaking Up is Hard to Do

I've been trying to break up with a friend of mine (we've gone in different directions; we have nothing in common anymore; it's not you, it's me), and I've been going about it the way the men in my life have: half-assed and cowardly. The old, "I've got a big project right now but I'll call you," type thing. And because I haven't seen this friend in over a year anyway, it's more a break-up-by-attrition, which doesn't bring many tears. I just don't enjoy our times together so much, since she's so often judgmental and didactic.

Yesterday, I realized a friend of mine is breaking up with me. I haven't seen her in over a year. My overtures of coffee and chat are put off until after the holidays or the semester or the equinox. I'm heartbroken (and embarrassed that it took me so long to figure out). I'm pretty sure why she might want to call it a day on our friendship, though. It's my tendency to be a bit judgmental and didactic. Dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment