Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Very Cheap Things I'm Loving Right Now

I am now a true believer in using white vinegar instead of fabric softener (both liquid and sheet). I do have a fabric softener dispenser in my washing machine, but if I didn't, I'd get one of those Downy balls that you fill with the stuff and toss into the wash. The vinegar is cheap, environmentally friendly (guess which one of those really matters to me), and doesn't leave the build-up I've seen from fabric softener. Rest assured, the clothes do not smell like salad.

Another cheap thing: Pumice. The older I get, the more frightened I am by my feet. Since my family goes to TaeKwonDo twice a week, and many stretches involve bending the head towards the foot, I am frequently vowing to do something about this wretched state of affairs. But I'm not about to pay for a pedicure (as no one who uses vinegar as fabric softener would - except for the friend who told me about it). I tried the scrubs and the buffers and the creams, but it was the pumice stone that saved me. For less than $2, this grainy rock taken to my wet feet has brought me a peace I thought I'd never know again.

The last cheap thing: Me, when I was in college*. Not really, but I couldn't think of a third thing (one part of that last sentence is a lie).

*Here, by "cheap" I meant "easy," because today I'm the kind of cheap to which you can add "skate."

1 comment:

  1. I half expected you to tell me you had combined your cheapness and were soaking your feet in vinegar before pumicing them. Hmm....that might actually work...

    ReplyDelete