Monday, October 26, 2009

My Girl Crushes

My Girl Crushes:

1.  Allison Janney:  Loved her in "The West Wing," loved her in "Juno," loved her in "Away We Go."
She's so candid and tall. 
2.  Diane Sawyer:  I think she's wearing her original face.  In this age of pillow cheeks and duck lips, to see    a woman age so beautifully makes me love her.  And that's beside the fact that she's brilliant and funny.
3.  Terry  Gross:  Honestly, I was shocked to learn that she's not a lesbian.  Or a brunette.  I was listening to her being interviewed (for a change) and she laughed about how widespread the notion is that she's a lesbian.   She told of her mother-in-law being at a party where another guest, in cocktail chatter, said, "I so enjoy that radio show 'Fresh Air' with that Terry Gross.  She's a lesbian, you know."  I must admit, I was disappointed to find out she wasn't a brunette.
4.  Christina Hendricks:  As Joan Holloway on "Mad Men."  I think she might be the most womanly woman I've ever seen.
5.  Laurie Partridge : (Not Susan Dey.)  She was the girl I always wanted to grow up to be.  For a while, I'd set my jaw and purse my lips just because she did it so well. 

Women I Thought I Would Love, But Actually Grew to Dislike the More I Heard Them Talk:
1.  Ayelet Waldman:  Author of "Bad Mom."  I thought I'd feel simpatico with anyone who considers herself a bad mom.  But when you cite such evidence as, "I knew I should get the kids to bed at a reasonable hour, but we were all having such fun composing sonnets and sharing them with each other, " I don't like you so much.
2.  Ellen Burstyn:  She's one of the most beautful older women around, and she seems so elegant and strong.  Turns out, as I listened to her read her autobiography on CD, she's rather selfish and not so nice.
3.  Carrie Fisher:  She drank too much!  She eats too much!  She's had bad luck with men!  What's not to love?  How could I not adore her?  Well, after reading her memoir "Wishful Drinking," I figured that she considers herself so crazily madcap and fabulous that I really don't have to.

1 comment:

  1. I love this article.

    I have always admired Dianne Sawyer's beauty, poise and intelligence. So composed - I heard she always wears false eyelashes - (I've recently been inspired to purchase some to see if they will make me look thinner.)

    And I am also surprised that Terry Gross is not a lesbian. And that is funny because all she has to make me think that she might is a deep voice. But I knew she was blonde. She sounds blonde. Or maybe I've seen a picture of her. Although now that I've just googled her image, I am wondering if she ISN'T a lesbian. If she wants to look like that on purpose, she shouldn't be surprised that people have a misconception about her sexual orientation.

    I had some real laugh out loud moments reading the UNCRUSH selection of women above. Now I know yet again why you are my dearest friend.

    ReplyDelete