Wednesday, February 10, 2010

To Stalk or Not to Stalk

My friend who broke up with me (let's call her Michaela) has a birthday coming up.  I haven't seen her for two years now, though she lives only fifteen minutes away.  (For details on my being dumped, please see http://suchpotential.blogspot.com/2009/10/breaking-up-is-hard-to-do.html) Michaela made it pretty clear to me that she's just not that interested, but we used to be such good friends and then the kind of friends who don't see each other often but can pick up where they left off (in my head, anyway), and it's not like we had any sort of falling out.  Over the past few months, I've posted a few comments on her Facebook page (which went unremarked).  When I found an old email she'd written to me (which I'd saved because I thought it particularly insightful), I forwarded it to her with an "it's been too long" note.  She did respond, with a kind but dismissive reply.  (And now reading what I've just written, even I think I'm a little pathetic.)  Still, I'm thinking about sending her a birthday card (which I've done every year but the last one).  Yes or no?

6 comments:

  1. It stinks when a friend divorces you; I vote no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because the card you send me for my birthday is the only one I really look forward to...and because every time I get a card from you I really cherish it, I vote no. She doesn't deserve the attention. And I really think you should unfriend her. Why should she be able to count you as a friend if she doesn't value you as one? If you feel really bad about it, send her an eCard. That's about all the effort and thought she deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two votes no and two votes yes (okay, the vote posted to my facebook wall was "do what feels right to you)....good thing I have time to obsess. See why I could never have an affair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey loser, you've got 3 no votes right on this page. Excuse me, 2 no and a hell no. Just send the card to Clementine. It's her birthday next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous from Jan. 25March 10, 2010 at 11:23 PM

    I say move on. I have had "friends" through the years who no longer had time for me even though I have known them for 30 years. They found newer friends. So, so did I. I moved on.

    ReplyDelete